The Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center was established in 1936, when the John Gaw Meem building debuted. Martha Graham danced on our stage at the first grand opening; Frank Lloyd Wright lectured in our hall. The building is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places. The Fine Arts Center was the first facility of its kind west of the Mississippi to offer arts education, theatre and a museum under one roof.
The FAC unveiled its $28.4 million expansion in August, 2007. Award-winning architect David Owen Tryba, who grew up in Colorado Springs and learned to ride a bike in the FAC parking lot, conceived the two-story 48,000 square foot renovation and expansion.